Tuesday 28 August 2012

First Day of School


I can't believe teacher's are back to school tomorrow and kiddos are back next week. How the summer flies by. Unfortunately my school is still under construction so I haven't even been in yet to set anything up, which is kinda making me crazy! But I suppose it will all get done somehow. I can't wait to post pictures once I get everything organized.
For now, I will post some of my first day ideas;

Favourite Stories:
The Kissing Hand (of course) Audrey Penn- I do an art activity with this book
The Night Before First Grade Natasha Wing
Have You Filled a Bucket Today Carol McCloud
The Little Engine that Could

Here is a website that has a complete list:
http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show/first-day-of-school

I like to do a tour of the classroom and the school, and have a book made up with all of the admin, and staff, so that the students get to know some of the faces and names.

We usually play a name game and go through classroom rules, and first day procedures.

A self portrait or about me book if there is time, which there never is ;)

We usually start putting some of our supplies in their places, which is a  tormenting but necessary procedure. I have labels with the students names on them pre-made so they usually go nuts with the labels while I try to sort everything else.

I try and take a picture of each child for their memory book at the end of the year.

Good luck on your first day!

Mrs. Dunn



1 comment:

  1. Good luck on your new year! Thanks for stopping by my blog :)
    Dana
    www.funin1stgrade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete